Test

For the runner, who's not a runner, but is trying to be a runner...

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Best Album #3: The Killers, Hot Fuss

Okay kiddos, let's get started. My first "great" running album is Hot Fuss by the Killers. Here are the stats as taken from Wikipedia.

Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine"   Flowers, Stoermer 4:04
2. "Mr. Brightside"   Flowers, Keuning 3:42
3. "Smile Like You Mean It"   Flowers, Stoermer 3:54
4. "Somebody Told Me"   Flowers, Keuning, Stoermer, Vannucci 3:17
5. "All These Things That I've Done"   Flowers 5:01
6. "Andy, You're a Star"   Flowers 3:14
7. "On Top"   Flowers, Keuning, Stoermer, Vannucci 4:18
8. "Change Your Mind"   Flowers, Keuning 3:11
9. "Believe Me Natalie"   Flowers, Vannucci 5:05
10. "Midnight Show"   Flowers, Stoermer 4:02
11. "Everything Will Be Alright"   Flowers 5:45

Total time: 45:39 -- Perfect for a 4-5 mile run.

Lotta great songs on there. For starters, you have the radio hits: "somebody told me," and "smile like you mean it..." both which will really get your arms pumping and legs floating across the pavement. But my favorite running song on the album...despite a REALLY slow start...is "All these things that I've done," which has the bridge section of "I've got soul, but I"m not a soldier..." very fun tune and great beat once it picks up.

Da criteria:

1) Has GREAT first song to get you psyched to run
When you click play on the album, you'll get the siren like thing and the helicopter thumps-- you get pumped. Jenny WAS a friend of yours! SO GET GOING! Rating: A-

2) Good, consistent beats
Really, I don't think you have to skip a song because it's too slow... Rating B+

Not all songs sound the same
Nothing really to say here. I guess you can say the songs are a bit too similar, but there is some serious variation, too... Rating: B+

4) Walks the fine line of "I'm embarrassed to listen to this" and "I'm proud I'm rocking this"
It's no longer "cool" to like the Killers, but I still think they're a solid band. I'll give them an A- here.

5) Has many shifts in songs-- mini explosions of excitement
As previously noted, good amount of this. Rating A-

6) Can be listened to over and over...
Arguably the album's best asset. Tough to get tired of this sucker. Rating: A

7) Songs are not too long, not too short
Shortest song, 3:11 ; longest, 5:45. Great lengths. Rating: A

Sombody told me, that you wrote a blog post, that looked like a blog post, that I wrote in February of last year...IT'S NOT CONFIDENTIAL, I'VE GOT POTENTIAL!

Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more. I rode this album into the ground on my bike in 2005. Great post, souldier.

    ReplyDelete