Test

For the runner, who's not a runner, but is trying to be a runner...

Monday, August 9, 2010

Demoralizerization and Incentiveator 1 and 1

Today I finally crossed the Brooklyn Bridge on foot. I have to say, I should have done it long ago. The New York City iconic bridge offers a beautiful view of the skyline while you get to marvel at the fact that somehow, a bunch of engineers figured out how to cross a body of water using a system of arches and what not. In the great words of Jesse Pinkman, "Yeah Science!" I know, I know...science and engineering...not the same. But I have Breaking Bad on the brain. For those of you Brooklyn running junkies-- the incline is not as bad as the Prospect Park hill-- but it is longer. Total mileage for the run: 4.75.

Which brings me to a segment I'd like to call "Demoralizerization and Incentiveators."

Demoralizeration #1: Don't run with your athletic friends.

So. Running doesn't come easy to you. In fact...MOST exercise doesn't come easy to you. But you strap together a few good weeks and you've lost 5 pounds. Nice job. People start to notice. You actually start to think, running isn't so bad! In fact, I'm kind of looking forward to it! And then, someone close to you-- someone you would never expect...invites you to go for a run.

Do you remember what it was like to play NBA Jam against the kid who had already had the game for 3 months? Don't do it unless you're up for a 86-2 drubbing. Running is an individual activity and to pretend that we're all created equal (in running...I'm not evil) is as silly as it is wrong.

About a week ago I ran with my college roommate Alex who routinely "dusts" me around mile 2. It always happens the same way-- the sidewalk narrows and a baby carriage comes at us from the other side-- our conversation stops as he goes in front to create the single file formation, and then he's 3 steps ahead of me. Wait-- make that 6 steps ahead. He must need to pee pretty bad-- he's kind of sprinting. Do I smell? Of course I'm used to it, so it's no big deal-- but there were times I wanted to keep up. But the simple fact is that I've kicked ass if I've run a sub 9 minute mile and that's pretty average for him. So we're not running compatible beyond that warm up phase and that's okay.

Incentiveator #1 Run to Fun places

It's pretty simple really-- if you run the same track every time it gets boring. I think if you run 4 times a week, one of them should be something silly-- today's run across the Brooklyn Bridge and back was perfect because it was fresh and kept me interested. Good idea.

Until next time.

4 comments:

  1. Manhattan Bridge (south side) is fun because you get to look at the Brooklyn Bridge. Williamsburg Bridge is spacious. Queensboro is a must do because its on the marathon.

    But to me, the most interesting is the GWB. Yes you can subway up to Wash. Heights, run to NJ and back, and then run home along the Hudson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard that. That would be a pretty long run, though. We'll see if I can squeeze it in before my departure to Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  3. demoralizizerization is not a word. and it makes my brain hurt to say.

    ReplyDelete